Objectives of the outreach program
An outreach program intended for promoting inclusivity among contributors to Wikipedia and its sister projects should include:
- Integrate the information about the Internet with the traditions of indigenous communities and ethnic minority groups. [Editor's note: How a group is represented in easily-accessible information on the Internet, and in turn, in public imagination is tied to ownership of such information. One of the ways to assert ownership of this information is to start an online narrative about social customs, practices and traditions of the community.]
- Underrepresented groups have access to the Internet. They make use of amenities for accessing it for amplifying their voices.
- Create knowledge on Wikipedia about the art, culture, economy, social customs, social structure, polity, environment-related practices and traditional knowledge of indigenous communities.
- Students make use of Wikipedia as the secondary source of knowledge/ information. Access to a vast repository of knowledge free of cost may lead to economic advancement.
- Create a local pool of knowledge resources among second-generation leaders in the community. [Editor's note: Elders possess the most knowledge about the community, its history, practices, culture and so on. However, community leaders in the younger generations are better placed to learn to use and make the most of Wikipedia.]
- IIdentify target groups, which may include youth, farmers, bearers of traditional knowledge, women, local entrepreneurs, and survivors of violence and conflict. [Editor's note: Several indigenous peoples face conflict with the government, corporations, state actors or non-state actors from 'mainstream society', often over ownership and control of natural resources. The situation gets compounded in places where prolonged armed conflict occurs. Ethnic minorities may face the same issues.]
- Create online avenues for gathering and sharing first-hand stories from the ground about ethnic minorities and indigenous people.
- Train and build capacity among the primary target group(s) for digital literacy.
- Conduct advanced training for the target group(s) to produce knowledge about their communities as well as to consume knowledge and information.